All that hard work researching subwoofers, speakers and a stereo systems for your car can be easily jeopardized if you do not have a good option as well on amps to give the final touch on the vigor of your car audio system. Check our list of the best car amplifiers, their specifications and some tips to decide whether they are the best option or not for your own dream car audio system project.
- 1 Best Car Amplifiers with Reviews
- 2 What is a Car Amplifier?
- 3 What Are the Different Types of Car Amplifiers Available?
- 4 How To Find the Best Car Amplifier?
Best Car Amplifiers with Reviews
Pioneer GM-D8601 Amplifier
This Pioneer model is a Class D robust amp that can boost both your subs and also can be used to improve your speakers. It is the most powerful of our list for sure and you can link it to several different impedance sets, from 1 to 4 with 500 W of RMS potency.
- Mono Amp
- Class D
- 500 Watts RMS at 2ohm (or 800W at 1, 300W at 4ohm).
- 2-channel RCA inputs
- Bass boost remote
- This amp is actually quite compact (half the size of most models in the market)
- Can connect multiple subwoofers with safety avoiding overheating
- Includes a variable LPF for an audio frequency more adjustable to your taste and the specifications of the subwoofer you are using.
Rockford Fosgate R500X1D Prime
- 300 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohms, 500 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohms, Frequency 20Hz to 250Hz +/-1dB
- Onboard 12dB/octave LP/HP/AP crossover & Infrasonic filter. Power Wire Gauge- 4 AWG. Power Input Connector-Screw Terminal. Suggested Alternator-75 A
- On-board Punch EQ with +18dB boost at 45Hz. Input Sensitivity: 150 mV to 4 V
- Cast Aluminum Heatsink with Stealth top mounted control panel
- Includes wired remote (Punch Level Control). High efficiency amplifier design that reduces current consumption from the charging system
The Fosgate Prime is a series developed by Rockford quite praised. This amp not only has the potency you would love for your car to burst some powerful bass as well as it has a series of quite useful features to adjust the bass intensity and quality as it comes along with a special equalizer developed by the brand. You also have a remote to work out the bass like the Pioneer model.
- Mono Class D amp
- 500 Watts RMS at 2-Ohms (or 300 Watts at 4)
- Crossover of LP/HP/AP onboard with 12dB/octave
- Infrasonic filter
- Wired remote for Punch Level Control function
- You can as well control the bass intensity of your subs with a lot of autonomy making use of the Punch Level function
- With the switch of a phase you can boost your subwoofers alongside your speakers for impressive results
Pioneer GMA3602 Bridgeable Amplifier
The second Pioneer of our list is a class AB amp, obviously a more demure option even though it still works with several different impedances and, differently than the first Pioneer of our list, this is a 2 channel optional amp. It provides 180 W RMS with one channel at 4 Ohms, you can switch it to work with 2 channels at 60 or 90 Watts depending on the impedance.
- Class AB
- 2 channel amp with switch for mono channel
- 180 RMS on one channel at 4 ohms (or 60 watts with 2 channels at 4 ohms / .
90 watts with 2 channels at 2 ohms)
- Is the budget solution developed by Pioneer for high fidelity amps of lower potency
- Offers a great clean sound even when using high gain levels through the RCA inputs
Boss AR1500M ARMOR
- POWER: Maximum Power Output of 1500 Watts at 2 Ohms into one channel. MAX Power Output of 750 Watts at 4 Ohms into one Channel. This amplifier is designed to run your subwoofer(s) giving them the power that they need to perform as they were meant to
- HIGH LEVEL INPUTS: Speaker level inputs are commonly referred to as high-level inputs. Speaker level inputs will be used to connect the AR1500M to your factory radio or an aftermarket radio that does not have low-level (RCA) inputs
- LOW LEVEL INPUTS: Line level inputs, also known as RCA inputs or low-level inputs, use RCA interconnect cables to link the AR1500M with the source unit. Most aftermarket radios have multiple pairs of RCA outputs that can connect to multiple amplifiers
- LOW-PASS CROSSOVER: A low-pass filter is an electronic circuit that removes all the notes below the filter's frequency setting. You will use the Low-pass filter to primarily keep high notes out of your subwoofer(s)
- SWITCHABLE BASS BOOST: Switchable Bass Boost allows you to boost the low bass +18db.
The AR1500 M is one of two budget solutions developed by BOSS you will see in our list. This amp is from their monoblock series with the MOSFET technology, that provides some of the best AB class amps out there. While this one doesn’t work on two channels (is a mono) like the Pioneer, it still provides technically more powerful bass outputs with 700 RMS at 2 Ohms.
- Class AB monoblock
- Mono amp
- Includes MOSFET unique patent developed by BOSS
- 700 Watts RMS at 2 Ohm
- Remote Subwoofer Control
- Includes the patented thermal system BOSS provides for its amp sets
- You can as well control the bass intensity remotely
BOSS AUDIO R1100M Riot Amplifier
- Power - 1100 Max x 1 @ 2 Ohms, 550 Max x 1 @ 4 Ohms
- Class A/B Topology - Class ‘A’ amplifiers have enormous amount of current flowing through its output transistors with no audio signal. Class ‘B’ amplifiers have no current flowing through its outputs with no audio signal
- Mosfet Power Supply - A MOSFET is an electrical switch that allows the flow of electrical current. It controls the output voltage & current precisely by removing the output current sensing loss & eliminating all secondary feedback circuitry
- Low & High Level Inputs - A low level (RCA) input is measured in voltages. A high level (+/- wire) input is measured in wattages. Both essentially carry signal from your receiver to your amplifier to your speakers
- Variable Low-Pass Crossover - Subwoofers reproduce sound based on a number of different low-range frequencies. You can set exact sound specifications for the bass frequency reproduction
The second BOSS of our list is not that different: still offers the monoblock, MOSFET technology, is a little bit less potent than the ARMOR (500 Watts at 2 Ohms) and is also a mono Class AB. The difference of prices between one model and other are quite subtle, this one though has a more showy output with neon illumination.
- Class AB Mono amp
- MOSFET Monoblock
- Includes remote control of subwoofer
- 500 Watts RMS at 2 Ohms
- It is a more stylish version of a BOSS amp that will fit their neon series (subwoofer and speakers that also have this illumation feature along the logo and other details)
- Slim amp solution with all the same patented features of BOSS amps
What is a Car Amplifier?
Car stereo systems are composed of a set of different equipment, but the ones that are built to work with outstanding results require subwoofers, the element that turns your car into a roving party. The amplifiers are then the essential equipment to make the subfwoofers work properly. The deep, heavy frequencies of a song require an amp to travel from your car stereo to the subwoofers. Many amplifiers can set more than one subwoofer simultaneously and even boost speakers to improve mid frequencies. You have to decide whether an amp is ideal or not for your audio system considering the wattage, impedance, voltage and other specs of your subwoofers, car stereo and even speakers – if you plan to wire them to the amps too.
What Are the Different Types of Car Amplifiers Available?
Just as there are many different types and possibilities of audio car systems, there are different amps to fulfill them. Basically, amps are divided by their class, which says how much efficient they are. There are Class A, B, AB and D amps. The further in the alphabet, the more efficient they are and efficiency here is measured by power invested on potency received, that said, the class D amps are by far the best, with 90% of efficiency as the amount of energy they require to power up, lets say, a 1000 W, will be quite reasonable, while a class A 1000 W amp will require lots more of energy to output the same potency. In other words, you can have two great outputs 1000 W with these amps, but the D one will be much more economic – as well as it won’t heat up like A’s usually do. AB amps are a junction between the A and the B type, the latter being a rework of how A amps work but reducing by half the consumption of energy.
How To Find the Best Car Amplifier?
You surely have to know how potent are the remaining parts of your system and how much energy your vehicle can spend to wire it all and work it up, considering also your speakers, the car stereo and of course, essential tasks you car must do to work as a transportation means. You will not want to wire a class A amp on your 1.0 car and see its battery going dead after 10 minutes, as well as you can’t wire a 300 W amp to boost your 1000 W subwoofers.
What Do Our Reviews Have To Say?
The budget differences between AB and Ds are evident but you get a quite complete list for the most kind of setups of audio car systems. Remember you don’t have – and many times, simply can’t – wire a D amp if you got a demure set of speakers and subs, or have a compact car. Don’t try to break your windows, neither set your car on fire. If you require a D amp you surely have great options, on the other hand, you can stick to AB solutions and for much less investment.